Submission Guidelines for Authors
Mission of Journal: Voices in Bioethics provides an online forum for constructive, thought-provoking, and respectful commentary on timely issues in bioethics.
Manuscripts: Authors interested in submitting a manuscript are asked to adhere to the following instructions:
– Format: Please provide a document in Microsoft Word (not a PDF), double-spaced, size 12 font, with one-inch margins. Editors will review the documents and may return any needed corrections or suggestions for editorial change via track changes, so please enable such. Editors reserve the right to edit documents for publication. Authors will have the opportunity to review any changes or corrections prior to publication.
– Document title: In the Word document text, please title the document to include author’s name and date submitted in the document title. This will assist the editors in tracking the documents.
– File name: In the file name, please indicate your first and last name, the date of the draft/submission, and the document title. Please adhere to the following naming conventions:
Name: [Last Name, First Name]
Title: [“Title of Submission”]
– Length: Please note the following word constraints per Journal category:
Narrative Medicine/Clinical Narratives: <1500
Art, Media, & Bioethics: <2000
– Endnotes: Voices in Bioethics uses endnotes. To facilitate a cohesive journal, please (i) hyperlink all endnotes and (ii) format endnotes in accordance with the Chicago Manual of Style. More information, including examples, is available here: http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide.html
– Cover page: On the first page of the document, please include a preferred title for the article. Further, please provide contact information for each author to include email and phone number.
–Images: Should authors wish to provide an associated picture or image, please attach the preferred image as a JPEG. Editors retain the right not to publish any images deemed inappropriate or otherwise not suitable. Please include the source information and appropriate credits for the image, as Voices in Bioethics is not authorized to publish images without appropriate credit/sourcing.
Author/Contributor Representations: By submitting any material for publication online publication in Voices in Bioethics, the Contributor(s) warrant that they are the author(s) of that information and that all authors have been included on the cover page. The Contributors further agree to have their content published online. The Contributor(s) further warrant that the content does not infringe upon the rights of others (including but not limited to privacy rights, particularly patient privacy rights under HIPAA, copyrights, trademarks or other intellectual property rights), that any material used is properly cited and credited, and that the submitted content does not contain unlawful, libelous or slanderous statements. Contributors further warrant that publication of the submitted content will not result in any harm or injury to any individuals or entities. Further, authors should disclose in the cover email whether there are any financial or other relationships that might result in a conflict of interest.
Submission instructions: Please send an email to the Editor, with the manuscript attached, to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the body of your email, please write a brief note indicating that you wish the attached contribution to be considered for publication in the Voices in Bioethics online journal (indicate whether a commentary or book review, etc.), that you have no conflict of interest with respect to the attached contribution, that the material has not previously been published elsewhere, and that you have read and agreed to the author/contributor representations on this site. Then simply attach the Word document (properly titled to include essay title, name and date) to the email address provided for submissions and send.
We look forward to reading your submissions!